Thursday, February 12, 2009

Slow Cooker Day

I have heard of "slow cooker days." You know, one of those days when you just can't get anything going. I had a list of things I wanted to accomplish, and was ready to get to it when the kids settled down for a nap. But, all of that was interrupted by cries from Brooklyn, who has been having some trouble getting to sleep lately. I read her a story, I sang some of her favorite songs, but nothing was working. I decided she needed time to settle down on her own and left her in her room. I listened to her calling for me in between moments of crying. When I walked back into her room and looked at those big baby blue eyes and tears running down her cheeks, I realized I needed to slow down. I have a wonderful opportunity to use this time at home as a ministry to my children, yet I am not taking advantage of it. I was reminded by God to be a comforter, as He has done for me so many times (no matter how long that might take). The valentines for her party at school will get done, even if I have to stay up until 2 a.m. to do it, the dishes and the laundry have been piling up for a couple days now, what is another few hours? Too many times I lose sight of what is really important. I am thankful for how my children continue to teach me to be more like them; I am often humbled by not only their screams in the middle of the grocery store, but also those big alligator tears when they need a little extra loving.

No comments:

Post a Comment